Saturday, August 13, 2011
The Other TB Clinic
Dr. Pottenger’s Sanatorium was renowned for treating tuberculosis, but he was not the only resident who cared for those stricken with the disease. Fondly known as Aunt Kate, Kate Wright (1861- 1937) was a remarkable woman who opened her heart and her home to indigent men with tuberculosis. Having no wealth of her own, she depended on the community to donate food and money to ease the suffering of men who could not afford treatment or whose disease was too advanced for recovery. She also asked for and received donations of building materials to build small one room cottages on her property to give patients privacy and dignity. At Thanksgiving, she distributed baskets of food for needy families. She was respected and revered by Monrovians from all walks of life.